Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Funny the way it is.



Smelly Markers :) 

[Monday] 
Monday came fast... thank god.  I woke up to good news and my glow of happiness returned.  I tried to nap on the way to work, but I was so excited to get there and see the children after having such a long weekend.  When I got to work, I was instantly greeted with hugs and welcomes from the ladies.  The children started to show up one by one, and ran to me like they haven’t seen me in ages.  Monday was another day of monsoon rain so a lot of the children didn’t come because they have a far walk.  It’s unfortunate... but funny the way it is, some children take the bus to school while some have to walk 10 miles.  I sat on the floor with all the children, and they noticed I had two different socks on...the giggles roared in the room, because the white lady who is supposed to be rich, has two completely ass backwards socks on.  It was kind of funny... considering I’m almost 25 and I do that EVERY day.  Not just when I need to do laundry.  Funny the way it is.  After they got over my socks, they noticed that my legs had shimmery stuff on them.  I have lotion that is supposed to be for after sun (however I’m not getting much sun here) and it has glittery crap in it.  It was almost as if they children thought that I had stars in my legs... they repeatedly rubbed my legs and saw the shimmer, then rubbed it on their faces.  Soon, all I could hear was “magic...MAGIC... She’s magic!!!”  I had to laugh... it’s the little things in life.  Honestly.  Time was running short and just as I had my doubts that I wouldn’t ever see Nolwethu again, she walked in the door... in her pink jacket and a beautiful smile.  Her eyes lit up like christmas lights when she saw me.  I opened up my arms and she plowed into me, almost knocking me over...and then repeatedly kissing my face.  As overwhelming as it was, I felt the same way.  I was so happy and so relieved to see her.  I asked her where she had been and her tiny little face let a frown.  She had been in the hospital with her mother, who is terminally ill.  My heart immediately sank.  I hugged her and held her in my arms... and she stuck to my side the rest of the day, just like my shadow does.  









The day started out with recapping what the children learned about HIV/AIDS and surprisingly, they retained so much of the information from last week.  It absolutely blows my mind when these children are 7,8,9 years old... and they have to learn about healthy sex, sex partners, and everything that an average American child doesn’t even think about until middle school or later.  Professor ended up having to go downstairs to work with the older kids, so I was on my own.  My agenda for the day was to try and somehow communicate with them not using many words considering they have no idea what I’m saying.  I had to teach them about healthy role models and who/what they want to be when they grow up.  I managed to get the subject across them.  They worked so hard and so quietly, I started peeking around to the children’s art and noticed that about 3 of them were drawing pictures of me.  I was so happy, and so sad at the same time.  I love that they want to be like me, because a lot of these children don’t make it through school.. and have higher rates of not being as successful.  However, I was saddened because it was a reminder that I will have to leave these children soon and I think they have impacted my life more than I have theirs.  
After we took our lunch break, I had the kids make thank you cards for Sis Viv (the director of Umtha Welanga) for having the children’s holiday program for them.  Again, they worked so hard on these cards and they turned out so beautiful.  The kids are fascinated with using my markers... it’s refreshing to see children getting excited to do children things and using their imaginations.. rather than playing video games and rotting their brains with garbage tv.  It was time for the children to hand their cards into me so I could give them to Sis Viv.  Before I put them on her desk, I peeked at them... and ALL of them snuck the words “I love Haley” somewhere on the inside of their cards.  My heart melted, and I let out a giggle.  








[TUESDAY]-- Last day with the children and Professor’s last day... :( 
Well.  I woke up in the morning, 10 minutes late because I couldn’t get my fat-beer-rear outta bed.  It wasn’t that I was too tired... I realized later on that I was preparing myself for a day that I did not want to come.  It was the last day that I get to spend with the children... and my last day with Professor.  Although my time has been short with them, I have this connection that I can’t explain.  Professor, he is like my long lost best friend/brother.  I honestly love the crap outta him... and I am sad to see us part our different ways.  He has taught me so much about life... love... has helped me restore my faith in humanity...and myself.. and even though we are completely different, we fit together like a glove.  The children.  I don’t even know.  They have completely opened my eyes to a new life.  They have helped me realize how beautiful life is.  How to cherish and love all of the little things in life.  How to live more frugally and still be happy.  How to not freak out when snot gets rubbed all over me... how to be more thankful for everyone in my life because you never know when it will be your last day with them.  This list could go on for FOREVER.  Literally.  I dragged myself to the bus... and we started off late.. again.  In the mornings, I either a.) stare out the window the whole ride to work.. or b.) immediately pass out.  Well... today, I plugged in my ipod (because I am SO sick of listening to Celine Dion... Boys to men.. and this crazy Xhosa song that’s about facebook.. all on repeat)..and took out my journal, and the only marker I have left in my bag, a gray one.  And just started to draw.  I drew and wrote the entire ride, and before I knew it... it was time to hop off the bus and start my day.  The morning seemed to pass very quick because all of a sudden all the children were there and fighting over who got to sit in my lap.  We started off the morning with our usual prayer... and then recapped... again.  However, this morning it was a little different.  When they were talking about everything that they learned, it was always “Miss Haley and Professor taught us....”  and then they started talking about how I taught them to draw, and use markers, and crayons.  Again.. the tears in my eyes started.  I never knew that I could touch someone’s life with just using markers... crayons..computer paper... and love.  I have never been so proud of myself, in all of my accomplishments in life.. this wins by thousands of miles.  Just to know how I have impacted the kids, impacts me thousands.  The first activity I did with the children was making HIV/AIDS posters to hang up in Umtha Welanga... and again, majority of the posters the kids made stated that “Professor and Haley taught us...”.  I now know how important I feel when my name is written with crayola marker.  Honestly.  The day seemed to pass by so incredibly fast.  Funny the way it is, when you want days to go by fast..they don’t.  And when you don’t want them to go by fast.. they do.  How do you stop the clock?  I wish I knew. 













It was time for my dreaded moment.  Patrick showed up an hour early... of course.  And I didn’t even know how to start.  The children knew that it was time to say goodbye... and one by one, and very patiently (patiently doesn’t really happen with these kids.. it’s usually a fight to get to me first)... they lined up to give me hugs and kisses.  They all hugged me so tight and kissed my cheeks.  After I stood up to put my backpack on... I noticed a couple tears running down some of their cheeks.  How in the world did this happen?  How did we bond so closely in just 5 days?  I wish I knew because maybe it would of been easier for me to say goodbye.  Maybe I can plan a yearly trip in September every year, to work with them for two weeks.  I don’t know how I am going to do it.. but I know it will happen.  Because I have to.  I have to come back.  That’s something I know.  I know I have to come home and live my life... see my family... get a job... move across the country with the person I love the most in this world.  But it’s hard.  It’s hard knowing what and who I leave behind here.  How do you go home, back to America.. where everything is so fast paced.  Where American’s are slaves to the clock and have little time to enjoy themselves and time with their families.. who are happy and healthy.  Where cell phones, computers and television run the world.  How do you go back to that?  Well... I do know one more thing.  I know what I will be taking home with me.  



The entire bus ride back home.. I laid down... and shut my eyes.  Just to visually dream about my journey with these children.  Although it’s been hard to leave... I do miss my family.  I miss Chris.  And oh my god do I love him.  I am so thankful for him and sticking by me all these years, the thick and thin... He really understands me, like no one else in this world.  And I know that he can see the things that I’ve seen here, and be as impacted just as I have been.  And that... that my friends, is worth thousands and thousands of lightyears beyond this Universe.  


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment