Wednesday, July 18, 2012

67 minutes... & then some.


Today is Mandela’s birthday.  It’s a holiday here.  More so than president’s day, or any kind of day like that back in the states.  Everyone celebrates and does the honor of taking 67 minutes out of their day to ‘give back’ or do some kind of community service.  And EVERYONE does it.  I participated in making a garden at SANCLA last friday evening which is a clinic in one of the townships that does visits to the homes to give the ill their medications and bathe them... and such.  Gardening was more than just ‘gardening’.  It was picking up trash.. and by trash I mean ‘popped balloons’... dirty diapers.. human poop.  GARBAGE.  Although it was absolutely disgusting... we did it with smiles and laughter and... we did it.  It turned out beautiful, and it looked so clean and fresh.  We planted flowers and trees, and put life back into their front yard.  It was beautiful.  And the ladies loved it.  






I have officially ran out of money.  With two weeks left in South Africa.  I completely underestimated my living expenses and having no income for 3 months. But... for the first time in my life... I am not stressed, crying.. or freaking out about being broke.  For the second part of my community service, I have decided to give Umtha Welanga my art materials for the children, my warm clothes that I had to purchase here, my extra food I have, and anything else that I don’t ‘need’ when I go home.  Because... I don’t need it.  And they do.  Simply that. These are all things that I spent my money on here because I thought I needed it to survive..could I have made it throughout my stay without buying these things?  Probably.  But that’s why I am giving back.  Did I spend my money irresponsibly?  Probably.  And probably not.  Did I need to go out to eat with my friends?  Probably not.  Did I need to buy tickets to the rugby games? Probably not.  Did I need to go shark cage diving?  Probably not.  Did I need to go off adventuring?  Probably not.  Did I need to buy all these things that I really don’t need?  Probably not.  But... Would I look back, and what to change any of it?  Absolutely not.  Without all of these ‘things’ I wouldn’t have all of these memories.  I wouldn’t have my amazing “South-African-American” family.  I wouldn’t have all of these stories to tell the ladies at my work on monday mornings and listen to their laughter roar.  I wouldn’t have this incredible bond with everyone I work with, including the foster children.. mothers and the sick.  I wouldn’t have my best friend & sister Lindi.  I wouldn’t have any of it.  And that... that would be a sad sad time in South Africa.  
And although I am going to have to bail myself out of a world of hurt with my bills... surviving in the states... and moving, all of this was worth it.  These are memories  to cherish and hold close to me for a lifetime.  It’s these memories that are worth tattooing on my body, forever on my skin.  I have (over time) adapted to living without the plastic things in life.  Without the high maintenance  American living.  And although it  took half of my trip for me to experience this ‘happiness’.. I know what I am going to bring home with me back to the states.  I know how to survive without the expensive American standards.  When I really open my eyes here, through all of the poverty... crime... rape..  I can see happiness.  I see song.  I see laughter.. the REAL laughter in children.  I see real people.  I see survival.  I see struggle.  I see the love of a mother to a child.  And sometimes when I look home to America... I see a lot of chaos.  Run run run.  Slaving to the clocks.  Work work work.  Money money money.  All to buy things that we don’t really ‘need’ to be happy and healthy.  To stay in the competition of ‘nice things’ with your fellow American brother and sisters.  I see people stressing themselves crazy to pay their bills for the nice things they have... and blaming the economy because they can’t afford their nice new car, or iphone... house payment... cable tv.  Vacations.  Is that really what this world has come to?  Sadly... Yes.  Is it changeable?  Yes.  One person at a time.  An eye for an eye, remember?  
So... am I stressing out about surviving without money?  No.  Because I have experienced life.  I have experienced love.  I have found what makes me happy.  And through that... I know that “higher powers” have a plan for me, and everything will work out and be ok in the end.  And if it’s not... then it’s not the end.  
I am not trying to shame or bash the American lifestyle... If that’s what really makes one happy, then so be it.  However, I have experienced something in my life here that is unexplainable.  Unimaginable.  but most of all... beautiful.  And I get to take that home with me, to live my life... raise my children one day... and to be a teacher, provider and supporter.  And to love everyone forever.  Unconditionally.  

"Bathande Bonke Okoko"

--To love them all forever--
Xhosa

No comments:

Post a Comment