Monday, June 11, 2012

YOLO! I should probably blog everyyyyday.

Khayelitsha! 
         
          So... I'm not entirely sure where to start.  My first week in Cape Town has probably been one of the craziest weeks of my life, and probably one of the most memorable.  Since I have a lot to talk about I'll sum everything up as best as I can.
         First I'm gonna touch on all my entertaining struggles living here.  I'm living in Cape Town, one of the most beautiful places in the world, literally.  Yet, I'm living here during their "Winter."  Now, their winter is nothing like our winter, however it does get pretty chilly here at night which has lead to sleep overs in mine and my roommates rooms attempting to stay warm.  For real.  Haha.  Winter means rainy season here, but to me it means monsoon season.  I have seriously never seen it rain this hard in my life.  Although it's amazing to see and experience, it's not fun being wet ALL the time.  So if anyone would like to donate some rainboots my direction, that would be awesome.  I shouldn't say I'm wet all the time, because it does go back and forth from sunny and hot to a minute later it's completely down pouring.  Next....my attempts at crossing the road are near to impossible.  In South Africa, they drive on the wrong side of the road, along with the wrong side in the car.... and they drive absolutely bleeping insane and do not stop for pedestrians.  So trying to cross the road is like a game of frogger.  Run for yoooooooooo liiiiiiiiiiife!  Going out into public is pretty intense as well.  Walking alone and night is not really an option unless you want to get mugged.  Robbery here happens so often that in order to get into your houses, you have unlock 3 or 4 gates.  Not to mention our house is completely enclosed by a huge fence and then electric fence on top of it.  Pick pocketing happens so often that you literally have to keep your purse in the safety of your arms when your out.  However, my new friends and I stick together and keep an eye on each other.  There is a new struggle every day so I'm sure I will have more to talk about soon.  OH... how can I forget the electricity....  You have to go to the store and buy electricity.  No such thing as an "electric bill."  We have an electricity meter in our house and occasionally, it runs out.  And we are stuck in the dark.  But we make a good time of it anyway.
         My job.  I finally started my job last week.  I can't even begin how to explain my daily routine. Every morning I get picked up by a 'minibus' down the road by our local grocery store.  We have to be there at about 7:45 because the bus is scheduled to leave at 8am.  Buuuuut, the luxury of South Africans is that they don't necessarily work by the clock.  So we might not get picked up until 8:30....8:45.  Ya, it happens.  Sometimes they are on time, but if your not there and getting on the bus at 8, you're getting left behind.  I have an hour ride to work, listening to crazy African rap the ENTIRE time, and I'm the lucky one because I am the last to get dropped off.
            The ride to work is always a complete eye opener.  I work in the 'township' called Khayelitsha, one of the worst and biggest townships in the Cape Town area.  Every day I see thousands of stray dogs running the streets, trash everywhere, literally... kids running around, busy traffic, and thousands and thousands of shacks for homes.  Despite all the bad things I see... I see a lot of amazing things as well.  Like the people.  Neighbors care for each other, watch each others kids... and majority of them are extremely happy with the little that they have.

Khayelitsha woman and baby

          When I get to work, all the ladies that I work with greet me with hugs.  I'm not usually a huggy person, especially with people I don't know very well (and don't speak the language!)..but here it's just so warm and loving.  The ladies are all from the area and they speak Xhosa.  They do speak English, but they tend to mix the two together, and generally... I have no idea what they are talking about half of the time.  Xhosa is the native language to this area, and yes... it's the clicking clucking language, and I sound like a complete idiot when I have to speak it.  Which, I do.. well, trying.  The day starts off with the hugs, then we have to go around talking about our evening and if we are in an ok mood today or not.  It's really silly and weird, but I'm getting used to it... and honestly it's nice to tell them that I'm tired before they witness me drooling on myself while I'm trying to keep myself awake during the paperwork time.  The organization I work for is called Umtha Welanga (omp-tah wally-ahn-gah).  My job duties thus far include:  going to the foster homes for inspections (yes... in the homes), going to the homes of the terminally ill and bathing them, making sure they are taking their meds and eating... and then lastly, the best part, working with the kids in our after school program (the foster kids that have been orphaned).  We get to dance in the streets to loud African music while they show me up with their African dance moves, and also... I get to do art therapy with them.  Best part of my day everrrrrrrrrrrrr.  These kids are so entertaining.. and so free spirited.  I just keep learning so much by the people I meet.
         Anyway, I'm going to post this long thing... I'll try to be better at blogging more frequently.  I have to blog about my experience I had today walking around the township (being the only white girl within a 15 mile radius), and of course my experience mountain climbing and hiking, and SHARK DIVING! Ah!! So much to talk about.  So many awesome amazing people in my life!!! Good night from South Africa!!! YOLO! (you.only.live.once.) xoxo

Wine Tasting on Friday afternoon :) 















Hiking Lions Head with my new buds :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment