Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ode to making a difference.




          For years I struggled with what I exactly wanted to do with my life, as do many kids my age... but within the past year, I've really gotten to know myself on a more personal level.  I started an internship as an Art Therapist working with kids who are from all over the country that unfortunately made some poor choices which led them to be in a facility treatment program dealing with issues like sexual perpetration, delinquency, victimization, alcohol and drug abuse, cognitive behavioral issues or dual diagnosis, and independent living support.  Sounds scary and intimidating I know.... but being with these kids for almost a year, has completely changed my awareness on the world, and my life in general.  Every day I would learn something new, good, bad and ugly... but I hold all of those memories and learning experiences close to my heart because I wouldn't be where I am at today without all of them.  These kids opened the door for me and showed me what my purpose is in life, and that's to make a difference.  I knew two weeks into working with these kids that this is what I was meant for, so I started my research and came across the Volunteer Adventure Corp.  I applied, got accepted and then placed at Umtha Welanga... an organization which offers a loving future to orphans in the incredible township of Khayelitsha, Cape Town. 
          Umtha Welanga has enabled hundreds of children (both those infected and affected by AIDS) to move successfully into long term foster or extended family care. For many HIV+ or disabled children, institutional care has been seen as the only option for them. It is assumed that private individuals will not take on the emotional and medical responsibility of looking after these kids. Doing my research, I have found that South Africa is currently experiencing one of the most severe HIV epidemics in the world. In less than two decades, the infection rate has increased from 1% to 15%, leaving a trail of infection, illness and buried loved ones in its wake.  There is an average of 1,000 AIDS deaths every day in Africa.... 1,000 deaths.  That means that thousands of children are being left impoverished and alone, orphaned by an illness that in most cases is already beginning to consume them as well. These children, often no more than infants, have lost not only the heads of their household, but also their sole providers of food and support. They wander homeless, plunged into poverty, often HIV+ themselves and suffering from a number of debilitating afflictions including rare types of tuberculosis, Down's syndrome and epilepsy while also falling prey to rape and abuse on the unforgiving streets.  
                My goal is to be able to take all of my knowledge, strength and passion for helping children and bring that to Africa and Umtha Welanga and give them a new outlook on life provided by Art & Music Therapy.  By using these two very effective types of therapy, I hope to alleviate the suffering and hidden emotions of these children and allow them to express themeselves with the beauty of color and music and be able to escape their illness while developing their motor and visual skills.  There is no greater feeling in the world than to provide children (who have as little as they do) with a positive view on life and a simple smile.  Stay tuned for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment